HELP CHILDREN IN CHINA with KILTWALK 2019
Get your Kilt on and take on a challenge suitable for all! With 6, 15, or 26 mile routes and events all taking place on the same day, go it yourself, or go with friends, to raise vital funds for a worthwhile project. Kilts aren’t really required… but go on, give it a go!!
The Little Sunflowers Project in China
An average of nearly 40,000 new childhood cancers are diagnosed each year, with leukaemia being the most common. When a child is diagnosed as having leukaemia, their parents want only the best treatment for them, but what happens when there is limited medical care and drugs available? Medical services have to be paid for in China and many families still live in poverty. For poor families in Liaoning Province, the shock of learning that their child has a potentially life-limiting illness is made worse by:
- trying to raise funds to pay for treatment
- trying to understand the emotional impact on their child getting information so they can provide a supportive environment
- dealing with lack of support and understanding from wider society
The Caritas Social Service Centre in Shenyang in North East China plans to fund a team of three staff who will work with patients, family members, medical and nursing staff and the wider society to: provide practical and emotional support for patients and families through group activities and workshops increase understanding and decrease isolation raise public awareness of childhood leukaemia.
The Little Sunflowers Project supports impoverished children in China who have leukaemia and their families. A project based in Liaoning Province, the SCCG is working with the Caritas Social Service Centre in Shenyang, in North East China to fund a team of three staff who will work with patients, family members, medical and nursing staff.
Your financial support through the Kiltwalk will fund front-line staff members to deliver this project.
Please join ‘Team SCCG’ to help – thank you!
Where are the Kiltwalk events?
- Glasgow 28 April Glasgow Green, Greendyke Street, G1 5DB
- Aberdeen 2 June Duthie Park, Great Southern Rd, Aberdeen, AB11 7TH
- Dundee 18 August Bruce Embankment, St Andrews, KY16 9AB
- Edinburgh 15 September BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh, EH12 5PJ
How do I register?
Go to the Kiltwalk website and register there: www.thekiltwalk.co.uk
Register to raise money for ‘Scottish Churches China Group (SCCG)’ and then join ‘Team SCCG’. Do this by:
- click on ‘Choose your own cause or charity’ and then specify ‘Scottish Churches China Group (SCCG)’ (this will come up automatically as you type)
- then, under ‘Create or join a team’, click on ‘Find’. Type in ‘Team SCCG’ at this point to join our team!
The website also has lots of information and advice. Thank you!